[kde-community] retiring unmaintained modules?

Albert Astals Cid aacid at kde.org
Sat Jan 10 22:13:20 GMT 2015

El Dissabte, 10 de gener de 2015, a les 22:56:06, Boudewijn Rempt va escriure:
> On Sat, 10 Jan 2015, Albert Astals Cid wrote:
> > Some of them like kword and koffice are already in unmaintained and closed
> > for bugs, not much more we can do with them other than deleting them
> > which i'm not sure it's a good idea.
>
> Close the bugs as "unmaintained"? There's no reason to keep bugs open for
> dead projects.

In an ideal world you'd have biliions of bug triagers that would go through
all the open bugs and move the ones that still exist to calligra for example
(meaning i think there's still some sense to keep them there)

> > Others like kftpgrabber may be either suggested for new people to adopt
> > them and if not moved to unmaintained.
>
> I don't believe in that -- asking for maintainers never works. It's
> vanishingly rare that an unmaintained project gets a new lease of life,
> and it never happens if there's no maintainer around anymore to answer
> questions.

I don't believe in things you belieave and vice-versa ;)

> > I guess we should also be really careful, as you said some software is
> > "done" and the fact that it didn't get any development doesn't mean it
> > should be killed.
>
> Of course. But kmail (not kmail2) is _dead_. It's bugs should be closed.
> It's silly to see it cluttering up bugzilla's weekly top-twenty stats.

Same as before, ideally we'd have someone going over the bugs and deciding
what still happens and what still not and move over to kmail2.

Now one way of doing this is crowdsourcing it to the reporters via a nice bug
closing email for every of the unmaintained bugs/apps.

In one hand it always pisses me a bit off when that happens (i.e. i reported a
bug and the only acknowledgement i get is years later saying that it was
against an unmaintained version that i should re-check), in the other if
someone is able to write a nice text it may not be so bad.

Anyway before someone does some mass closing of bugs I think we need to take
sysadmins adivce on how to do it, not sure we want to create a huge e.mail
storm.

Cheers,
  Albert