[kde-community] retiring unmaintained modules?

Boudewijn Rempt boud at valdyas.org
Sat Jan 10 21:56:06 GMT 2015

On Sat, 10 Jan 2015, Albert Astals Cid wrote:

> Some of them like kword and koffice are already in unmaintained and closed for
> bugs, not much more we can do with them other than deleting them which i'm not
> sure it's a good idea.

Close the bugs as "unmaintained"? There's no reason to keep bugs open for
dead projects.

> Others like kftpgrabber may be either suggested for new people to adopt them
> and if not moved to unmaintained.

I don't believe in that -- asking for maintainers never works. It's
vanishingly rare that an unmaintained project gets a new lease of life,
and it never happens if there's no maintainer around anymore to answer
questions.

> I guess we should also be really careful, as you said some software is "done"
> and the fact that it didn't get any development doesn't mean it should be
> killed.

Of course. But kmail (not kmail2) is _dead_. It's bugs should be closed.
It's silly to see it cluttering up bugzilla's weekly top-twenty stats.

boudewijn