[kde-community] KDE office (was: Your KDE highlight of 2014?)

Laszlo Papp lpapp at kde.org
Thu Dec 25 02:15:18 GMT 2014

On Wed, Dec 24, 2014 at 11:05 AM, Aleix Pol <aleixpol at kde.org> wrote:
> On Wed, Dec 24, 2014 at 9:17 AM, Laszlo Papp <lpapp at kde.org> wrote:
>> Let us get this off-topic out of the highlight thread...
>>
>>> This gave me the idea, why not setup other KDE offices, by sharing space. I would be very interested in making that happen here in south west of UK
>>
>> Well, living on the south east of England (London, Cambridge,
>> Brighton, etc), I am sceptical even here whether this would be
>> sustainable, but if you have a model to keep it going like that, you
>> could share that and perhaps others get interested.
>
> The fact that the office in Barcelona has worked is more complex than
> just opening an office and hoping it will work.
> It includes the fact that we already had a community going on in
> Barcelona, that we had coordination within KDE Spain and BlueSystems
> could cover the costs.

Yes, exactly. I could not agree more.

This looks different in the UK to me, especially on the south and
south east, although I have not lived in here for such a long time. I
may be completely off. For what it is worth, I could not even join a
KDE release party in here, not only in the city where I live, but even
in the big London. This is a different culture as it seems and my
scepticism is based on this observation. I am not saying it is bad, it
is just different.

> Personally, my suggestion today is that you try to organize a small
> community and then see where this takes you.
> This is the kind of things we do nowadays, not even in the office
> because we can't have many people here.
> http://www.meetup.com/Barcelona-Free-Software-Users-Hackers/
>
> Talk to people, listen to what others have to say and spread the value
> we (KDE) are creating. :)

Sure, but it is a different category to go to a local hackerspace and
speak about KDE to people who are not even experienced about and
interested in C++, let alone even Qt, not just KDE. I mean, sure, it
is good to go there and spread the words, but it does not make a KDE
office all of a sudden in my humble opinion. It is also difficult to
keep the spirit up in such an environment with face to face
"preaching".