[kde-community] Give People Access to Great Technology - a possible vision

Stuart Jarvis jarvis at kde.org
Tue Sep 23 16:06:36 BST 2014

Hi David,

My comments below are slightly tangential to the 'vision' discussion
(which is bigger and something I haven't properly thought through for
myself, yet). However, here are some thoughts on one of your points,
which is also important in the discussion of a vision (you wouldn't have
mentioned it, if it was not) and is all about what KDE, the Frameworks,
Plasma and the apps are and how they interact.

On 2014-09-23 12:26, David Wright wrote:
> The KDE terminology issue I’m still not really understanding I’m
> afraid. I understand the reasons for the splitting out of KDE (the
> community), KF5, Plasma 5 and applications. The problem I have is that
> distros are still going to be shipping a KDE variant, apps included.

One problem here is that you still think of a 'KDE variant' as something
that is all bundled together, something we've been trying to get away
from, as you acknowledge. More below...

> In the absence of KDE supplying a name for the compilation of its
> software being used together

We tried this with the 'software compilation' which reflected that we
did still
have a bundle of stuff in reality. It didn't work that well, as there
was a pre-existing name for that, KDE, which was somewhat catchier.

, then I feel the distros are going to
> simply use KDE or KDE 5, like they would with Gnome, or XFCE, which is
> wrong, or KF5/Plasma5/Apps which is crap.

I don't think your prediction is necessarily wrong, but I think the idea
is not catching up with reality of most modern systems. I don't use only
KDE apps. Most KDE people I've observed in person are not using only KDE
apps. Distros should reflect this (and many do) and also/instead install
the likes of Firefox, Libre Office instead of/in addition to the KDE
equivalents. We're not (yet) leaders in all software fields for all use
cases (personally, I actually prefer Konqueror for many tasks and use it
as much as I can, but I think I might be in a minority there).

So, distros that do flavours or spins should have a Plasma spin. That
will likely include a majority of basic apps that are produced by KDE,
e.g. Dolphin, KWrite... Also the basic functionality that is really part
of the desktop experience (knetworkmanager, the KDE volume control...,
which maybe should get Plasma branding too as they're unlikely to be
used outside a Plasma session). For other apps, such as browser, office
suite, probably media players, photo organisers I would prefer to see
distros selecting the best of breed solution (which may be
Firefox/Chromium, Libre Office, Amarok or VLC, Digikam)

KF5 - parts of (and basic GNOME lib, among many others) will also have
to be installed, as dependencies and only as required for the installed
applications - modularity is one of the beauties in KF5. The
non-developer user should not need to care about that, any more than
they need to care which SSL library their distro packages. If you want
to make some software, you look around for the best tools. If you want
to use some software, you don't care what tools made it, only how the
end software performs.

The idea of the KDE distribution, where you get only KDE-produced apps,
seems very outdated to me - we used to do that, even Krita has its roots
in an attempt to make a KDEish competitor to the GIMP. But why do that?
The GIMP is great. The modern Krita has instead filled gap that was
lacking and become the best free software answer to that need - and you
can see how that has led to success.

In short, I want to choose my desktop - that's important. Beyond that, I
want the distro to make some sensible choices on the default apps for
common tasks (and sensible choices != always choosing the KDE app). I'll
tweak the application selection to my tastes after installation.

> What’s making this more
> confusing is that the VDG are now discussing branding some apps along
> the lines of ‘Made for…’

I'd be very concerned about this, for any but the most basic components
deeply entwined in the desktop shell (e..g things like knetworkmanager
etc). The 'by KDE' tagline used for Plasma surely works much better for
anything else.

[snip]

> I don’t agree that everything should be completely separate however,
> there should still be links to one another, otherwise KDE becomes
> nothing more than a glorified Github.

For me, the unifying factors are (in no order):
1 the Frameworks
2 the consistent look, feel and behaviour (if you know one KDE app, you
should easily feel at home and be comfortable with another)
3 the community (and the associated commitments to free software ideals,
technical excellence)

Maybe I'm edging towards a 'vision' here - perhaps I'll come back with
some wider comments on that in a bit.

Cheers,
Stu