[kde-community] Give People Access to Great Technology - a possible vision

David Wright david.wright12886 at gmail.com
Tue Sep 23 12:26:31 BST 2014

To summarise and expand upon my thoughts on this given the feedback from a
couple of you:

Essentially I feel we should be concentrating on the promoting the
versatility of KDE ecosphere, and what that means to you as the user.
That's really what I was driving at when I was asking the question 'What do
you need KDE to be for you?' A lot of other desktop environments strangle
your workflow tighter than a Steve Jobs turtleneck, they demand that you
work around them and their vision, whereas I see KDE working for you and
with you, no matter where your end point may be, and what you are doing at
that endpoint. Let’s not forget starting points either, it should be able
to grow with you, from one app to many, from apps to desktop, from desktop
to phone and so on. Which is why projects like KDE for windows are so
important, as it provides that first hook to reel users in with, especially
business users, where change to a mid-fifties, conservative, company
director happens one app at a time, over a long period of time.

Now clearly I am no expert on plasma5, qml & kf5, but I have been given the
impression that it is very flexible (if that's not true then please tell me
and I will go back into the cupboard!); however I appreciate there will be
limits to what it can and can't do, so perhaps the use of 'it could be
anything' was quite rash.

I thought that maybe by understanding users needs we could either provide
solutions, or provide a signpost to where those solutions may lie. Each
users needs are different, so I thought that by splitting between
commercial and consumer needs we could consider what they are doing right
now, what they would like to see in the future, and how KDE technologies
can help with all that. By commercial needs I am taking about businesses in
offices (or wherever), and consumers being general peeps. Sorry, this is my
workplace terminology creeping in where it probably shouldn't! The reason
for this is that I've found that the way businesses use equipment such as
tablets and TVs can be very different to general consumers.

The KDE terminology issue I’m still not really understanding I’m afraid. I
understand the reasons for the splitting out of KDE (the community), KF5,
Plasma 5 and applications. The problem I have is that distros are still
going to be shipping a KDE variant, apps included. In the absence of KDE
supplying a name for the compilation of its software being used together,
then I feel the distros are going to simply use KDE or KDE 5, like they
would with Gnome, or XFCE, which is wrong, or KF5/Plasma5/Apps which is
crap.  What’s making this more confusing is that the VDG are now discussing
branding some apps along the lines of ‘Made for…’, which again I can
understand why, as when Windows ships Windows 8, it comes with a picture
viewer, file browser etc. But it’s still Windows 8. The only people who
have come close to giving this new amalgamation of software a name is
Kubuntu, with Project Neon. Maybe something like the ‘KDE Experience’ would
be fitting?

I don’t agree that everything should be completely separate however, there
should still be links to one another, otherwise KDE becomes nothing more
than a glorified Github.

Hope that makes more sense.

Kind Regards,

David.