[kde-community] Give People Access to Great Technology - a possible vision

Thomas Pfeiffer thomas.pfeiffer at kde.org
Tue Sep 23 17:44:07 BST 2014

On Tuesday 23 September 2014 16:06:36 Stuart Jarvis wrote:
> > What’s making this more
> > confusing is that the VDG are now discussing branding some apps along
> > the lines of ‘Made for…’
>
> I'd be very concerned about this, for any but the most basic components
> deeply entwined in the desktop shell (e..g things like knetworkmanager
> etc). The 'by KDE' tagline used for Plasma surely works much better for
> anything else.

Just to clear things up: "Made for Plasma" was just one idea of many for the
name of this, which, because we're all aware of the implications, is unlikely
to be chosen in the end.
We still have not found a good name yet (the problem with "by KDE" is that it
would naturally apply to all KDE applications, but what we're looking for is a
name we'd only give to applications that fulfill certain criteria on top of
being made by KDE).
See the forum thread [1] for background and the current discussion.
Input is still very much appreciated, as we're still kind of at a loss for a
good name.

Best,
Thomas

[1] https://forum.kde.org/viewtopic.php?f=285&t=122926