[kde-community] Give People Access to Great Technology - a possible vision

Aaron J. Seigo aseigo at kde.org
Sat Sep 20 23:05:46 BST 2014

On Saturday, September 20, 2014 22.44:45 David Wright wrote:
> I wonder whether going forward we would be better served by asking the
> question of our users, 'What do you need KDE* to be for you?'

The users KDE has now?
The users KDE wants?
The users KDE has contact with?

> Because essentially we are saying that with plasma 5 and kf5 it could be
> anything you want it to be.

Is that really what people perceive is the message?

That would be moderately shocking to me, though it would explain a few things
I suppose.

> Maybe we should start by splitting this into commercial and consumer needs
> and take it from there.

I'm not 100% clear on what you mean by commercial and consumer needs.

By "commercial" and "consumer" do you roughly mean "things needed to get work
tasks done" and "things needed to consume content from the internet"? Or do
you mean something a bit more literal like "people in offices" and "people at
home"?

> I know from my company that KDE would suit us as
> KDE for Windows would allow us to slowly shift over desktop apps first,
> before swapping out the  o/s from underneath. We can't be the only company
> in a similar boat.

In your opinion, what (general) vision does that translate into for KDE?

> *By KDE here im referring to the software, as I'm not sure what the term is
> for the amalgamation of plasma 5 / kf5 & applications

There is no such amalgamation, and that's probably why there is no term.

--
Aaron J. Seigo