[kde-community] Closing the kde-core-devel mailing list

Martin Klapetek martin.klapetek at gmail.com
Tue Aug 26 11:34:35 BST 2014

On Tue, Aug 26, 2014 at 12:16 PM, Aaron J. Seigo <aseigo at kde.org> wrote:

(not responding to the rest as that's no use)

> Using and developing are two separate things; frameworks-devel is about the
> latter
>
> For using KDE technology in development, you have aptly described the
> purpose
> of kde-devel@
>
> Perhaps the real question you are asking is: How do we get people to know
> about Frameworks and then sent to the right mailing lists?
>
> It is apparently your contention that people will go to
> http://lists.kde.org/
>  and guess which list to use or generate a possible email address on their
> own
> (and perhaps search for it on the internet before using it). That is
> probably
> quite unrealistic.
>
> A proper website for KDE Frameworks that presents it as a product proper
> would
> be a far more useful and compelling asset for getting people to KDE
> Frameworks, and that website can point to whatever mailing lists it
> chooses.
> Google will with near certainty then point to those lists when someone
> searches for "kde frameworks mailing list".
>
> We can have the "perfectly named mailing list" (whatever that means) but
> that
> is not going to get people using frameworks, which is at the core of your
> contention. To achieve the goal of "more people using KDE frameworks"
> something very different from a perfectly named mailing list is required.

That's not what I implied though, I just said that I think we should have a
dedicated mailing list for frameworks users, in no way I said it will get
us more users. And I still think that dedicated frameworks support mailing
list would be better than general purpose kde-devel.

Just out of curiosity - why do you think having a dedicated ML purely for
frameworks users would be such a bad idea?

Cheers
--
Martin Klapetek | KDE Developer