[kde-community] Closing the kde-core-devel mailing list

Aaron J. Seigo aseigo at kde.org
Tue Aug 26 11:16:49 BST 2014

On Tuesday, August 26, 2014 12.01:42 Martin Klapetek wrote:
> If I was a developer using frameworks for my project with the knowledge of
> "KDE is that Qt linux destkop" (which is quite common), I would see

Which is factually incorrect and shouldn't be reinforced.

Thankfully, if you read the f/oss media on a day to day basis, you'll see that
Plasma is increasingly the term being used when referring to KDE's desktop
product.

> "kde-devel" as "list for KDE (the desktop) development things". If I knew

KDE is not a desktop.

Well, devel related (ergo kde-devel@ and not kde@) which it is

> On the other hand, list with "kde-frameworks-*" gives clear indication
> what's going on there and what's its purpose.

KDE Frameworks is a new name for KDE Platform which was a new name for
kdelibs. do we really want people chasing that name game around?

This is already there: kde-devel@

> We want frameworks to spread throughout the world and we want people using
> it everywhere; I think we should have a proper, standalone support contact
> point for these developers, which is not loaded with other KDE devel stuff.

Using and developing are two separate things; frameworks-devel is about the
latter

For using KDE technology in development, you have aptly described the purpose
of kde-devel@

Perhaps the real question you are asking is: How do we get people to know
about Frameworks and then sent to the right mailing lists?

It is apparently your contention that people will go to http://lists.kde.org/
 and guess which list to use or generate a possible email address on their own
(and perhaps search for it on the internet before using it). That is probably
quite unrealistic.

A proper website for KDE Frameworks that presents it as a product proper would
be a far more useful and compelling asset for getting people to KDE
Frameworks, and that website can point to whatever mailing lists it chooses.
Google will with near certainty then point to those lists when someone
searches for "kde frameworks mailing list".

We can have the "perfectly named mailing list" (whatever that means) but that
is not going to get people using frameworks, which is at the core of your
contention. To achieve the goal of "more people using KDE frameworks"
something very different from a perfectly named mailing list is required.

--
Aaron J. Seigo