[kde-community] Closing the kde-core-devel mailing list

Martin Klapetek martin.klapetek at gmail.com
Tue Aug 26 11:01:42 BST 2014

On Tue, Aug 26, 2014 at 11:34 AM, Aaron J. Seigo <aseigo at kde.org> wrote:

> > Sure, but asking questions about how to use frameworks will end up on the
> > frameworks list, because that's the most obvious name for people looking
> for
> > help on frameworks.
>
> agreed; my suggestion is that we already have these lists: kde-core-devel
> and
> kde-devel. frameworks-devel ought to be closed and merged back into k-c-d
> from
> whence it was forked with the r-b traffic going to a new list.
>
> > If we feel that this will be a problem we'll need "frameworks users".
>
> we already have that: kde-devel@

If I was a developer using frameworks for my project with the knowledge of
"KDE is that Qt linux destkop" (which is quite common), I would see
"kde-devel" as "list for KDE (the desktop) development things". If I knew
the newer "KDE is the community", I would still think it's a list for KDE
folks discussing KDE stuff.

On the other hand, list with "kde-frameworks-*" gives clear indication
what's going on there and what's its purpose. A mailing list for outside
(non-KDE) developers should imo be created ; forcing those developers onto
broad KDE mailing lists can make people quite reluctant to use it as it may
feel like they have to join some KDE development stuff, which they are not
interested in, while all they need is an answer to their question.

We want frameworks to spread throughout the world and we want people using
it everywhere; I think we should have a proper, standalone support contact
point for these developers, which is not loaded with other KDE devel stuff.

Cheers
--
Martin Klapetek | KDE Developer