[kde-community] Proposal One: KDE (Core) Apps and Suites

Marco Martin notmart at gmail.com
Sat May 3 16:33:53 BST 2014

On Saturday, May 3, 2014, Martin Klapetek <martin.klapetek at gmail.com> wrote:
called "KDE Framework" a lot as one single framework is more common in IT
world; Qt is a framework too after all (no trailing s)), the rest is a bit
blurry, so people just go "KDE5" as it's simple and everybody understands
what is meant by that.
> My idea, which might be a complete nonsense, is to figure out the new
overall branding for our software, keep it all simple, drop the technical
accuracy (users don't care about technical stuff...so many times we have
said that and then we have put it right into our main brand names) and be
bold about it. No hiding it in the release text, make it big, clear and
bold - "The software is no longer KDE, we're <whatever> now". And make it
big promo. It can never succeed if it will be just one or two sentences in
the release text. People need to get slapped in the face with it for it to
have any effect. Twice.

This can work if (and probably only if) there won't be any big, SC-style
release amymore, or at least significantly downscaled (windowmanager,
desktop, filemanager, not much more)
Having separate releases for pretty much everything else. On our side i
realize that is much more work.
So. How this will be for users? It will be significantly worse on a normal
distribution release cycle.
It will be significantly better if every less than core application is
distributed on a rolling-like cycle (only applications tough, not the whole
distribution)
Probably most distributions would never ever do anything like that, so not
that useful to even talk about it.

But those are my 2c on the best case scenario