[kde-community] Proposal One: KDE (Core) Apps and Suites

Kevin Krammer krammer at kde.org
Sat May 3 17:15:37 BST 2014

On Saturday, 2014-05-03, 16:56:05, Martin Klapetek wrote:
> I'm putting this reply separately as it's not directly related to the
> previous one...
>
> On Sat, May 3, 2014 at 2:19 PM, Myriam Schweingruber <myriam at kde.org> wrote:
> > Also: changing names all the time and making releases for "KDE sc and
> > x and y and z and plasma and don't call it KDE" are just not working,
> > did ever anybody of you got aware that the whole rebranding to "KDE is
> > not what we release, it's a community" is a complete and utter
> > failure? I stopped long ago correcting people who call what they get
> > on their desktop "KDE" and not "KDE SC with plasma desktop" or
> > whatever is the "official" name we should use. It just doesn't work.
> > Period.
>
> I think we have a great chance now, to start fresh with the upcoming
> release. But we have to get it right and we don't have much time left.

I agree with Marco that this will be more natural once we don't have an SC
release anymore.

The desktop workspace product will probably still be refered to as "KDE" but
the applications will be easier to conceive as separated products when they
are not released at the same time as the workspace.

Cheers,
Kevin
KDE user support, developer mentoring