[kde-community] Request to join the Kde incubator for GCompris

Thomas Zander thomas at thomaszander.se
Thu Feb 20 06:54:54 GMT 2014

On Wednesday 19. February 2014 21.24.22 David Edmundson wrote:
> > The open source as well as the free-software movements are about freedom,
> > and I believe KDE supports that as well.
> > The beliefs of freedom are not at all hurt by someone taking that FLOSS
> > and
> > packaging it for a fee. There is no incompatibility there.
>
> What I see as a problem is that this has an implicit attached request
> to our current KDE Windows releasing team saying they shouldn't
> package and release GCompris.
>
> It would be unfair on Bruno for our KDE Windows team to do so. Legally
> they absolutely can, but it would still be more than a little bit
> rude. It's also equally unfair on our KDE Windows team to ever prevent
> them from doing so.

It doesn't have to be the case, the kde-on-windows effort still is making baby
steps and there are plenty of problems I have personally seen when trying
to run kde on windows that could a turn-off for an educational app like
GCompris.

There certainly is place in this huge Windows market for competition and
market support allowing for a stand-alone, well-packaged setup app that has no
direct ties to the KDE installer.

Such competition will only be good for the end-users.
--
Thomas