[kde-community] Request to join the Kde incubator for GCompris

Bruno Coudoin bruno.coudoin at gcompris.net
Thu Feb 20 08:03:04 GMT 2014

Le 19/02/2014 21:24, David Edmundson a écrit :

> What I see as a problem is that this has an implicit attached request
> to our current KDE Windows releasing team saying they shouldn't
> package and release GCompris.
>
> It would be unfair on Bruno for our KDE Windows team to do so. Legally
> they absolutely can, but it would still be more than a little bit
> rude. It's also equally unfair on our KDE Windows team to ever prevent
> them from doing so.
>
> I think it does open up some very interesting questions, not just here
> but for other cases where our Android/iOS porting becomes popular on
> how to do this in a manner that is fair to everyone. Money can easily
> cause a lot of tension and arguments.
>
> I'd like a discussion on it and maybe some guidelines.

Hi,

Yes I confirm that this is an important question and we must think about
it before going further.

Distributing 2 different binary versions of GCompris, one on
gcompris.net with an activation code and one on kde.org without would be
unfair and confusing for the users. Like you mention it would be much
more confusing on Android/iOS.

Even if you take out the activation issue, it is very confusing to have
different application with the same name being build and distributed by
several organization. It is the rule on GNU/Linux and we are used to
work that way but on the other platforms it is not practical.

Bruno.