[kde-community] Request to join the Kde incubator for GCompris

David Edmundson david at davidedmundson.co.uk
Wed Feb 19 20:24:22 GMT 2014

On Wed, Feb 19, 2014 at 9:18 PM, Thomas Zander <thomas at thomaszander.se> wrote:
> On Wednesday 19. February 2014 12.58.57 Agustin benito bethencourt wrote:
>> I must confess though that I am worry about the association between:
>> * proprietary platforms = commercial
>> * free platforms = non commercial
>>
>> that might be implied from this model.
>>
>> But the business models is a discussion that we need to solve within KDE.
>
> To be frank, I could not disagree more.
>
> The open source as well as the free-software movements are about freedom, and
> I believe KDE supports that as well.
> The beliefs of freedom are not at all hurt by someone taking that FLOSS and
> packaging it for a fee. There is no incompatibility there.

What I see as a problem is that this has an implicit attached request
to our current KDE Windows releasing team saying they shouldn't
package and release GCompris.

It would be unfair on Bruno for our KDE Windows team to do so. Legally
they absolutely can, but it would still be more than a little bit
rude. It's also equally unfair on our KDE Windows team to ever prevent
them from doing so.

I think it does open up some very interesting questions, not just here
but for other cases where our Android/iOS porting becomes popular on
how to do this in a manner that is fair to everyone. Money can easily
cause a lot of tension and arguments.

I'd like a discussion on it and maybe some guidelines.

David