[kde-community] Applications in KDE Generation 5

Sebastian Kügler sebas at kde.org
Thu Jan 16 15:47:01 GMT 2014

On Thursday, January 16, 2014 11:42:43 Aaron J. Seigo wrote:
> * Is this an application that is commonly provided by bare-bones desktop
> envs?  (Yes: +1; both because it means it duplicates features in other envs
> but also because it is probably *expected* to be there by users)
> * Is this an application that requires a large number of assumptions about
> the  desktop env? (Yes : +1)
> * Can you use the desktop env without it? (Maybe: +0.5, Not really: +1)
> * Is this an application that has significant usage in other desktop envs
> today? (No: +1)
>
> So for kmix the answers might be: yes, no, no, maybe: 3.5 points
> KDE NetworkManager: yes, yes, no, yes: 4 points
> Dolphin: Yes, No, Maybe, Yes: 1.5 points
> For KSnapshot: no, no, yes, yes: 0 points
>
> It becomes more easy to pick which apps “belong” and which probably don’t
> using these questions. It’s still a matter of judgement calls, but
> personally  I find those 4 questions helpful.

Adding another one: What do the developers of said code want?

Taking Krita as an example here, the soul-searching done a few years ago (I
think even with external help to facilitate this process) has done wonders,
and provided the focus to concentrate on one thing, and do that really well.
An app that works just fine on any desktop might choose to value "extremely
good integration with Plasma" higher than "useful in XFCE", and use that as
guiding principle, this would naturally answer a bunch of questions as to its
direction. So thinking about the goals definitely makes sense to me, and helps
assessing a good place to put the code, socially and
technically/infrastructurally.
--
sebas