[kde-community] Stormy Days proposal accepted

Jos Poortvliet jospoortvliet at gmail.com
Tue Dec 17 09:04:27 GMT 2013

Dear KDE community,

An e.V. vote supported the our Stormy Days proposal and there haven't been
any strong objections here either. I'll assume the CWG will implement this -
but hopefully, this proposal won't actually be used much.

FYI, the proposal that was agreed upon:

*The proposal*

This is meant as *addition* to the way the CWG work. The CWG has been around
for a while, it has build a reputation and trust. It has shown to be good,
helpful and not dangerous. This is a good time to give it teeth.

infrastructure. The process needs to be documented fully; the e.V. Board acts
as a place for appeal. The e.V. membership has the right to appoint a
committee to review the decisions and actions via these documents afterward.

*What happens*

1. warning
Once the CWG feels somebody is unwilling to change their behavior after
(many) open and friendly conversations, they warn this person. The warning
(to be worded by the CWG) states that if the person does not stop this
behavior, a cool down period of 2 weeks will be enforced. This means two
weeks no access to any KDE infrastructure. The observation period starts from
the moment the warning is sent.

2. Time-out
if the person doesn't break any rule for 2 months, the process resets.

3. judging
If the CWG decides that the person in question continues to behave badly
within the 2 month period, the cool down period starts. The person in
question gets a period of two weeks no access to KDE e.V. managed
infrastructure.

4. After the timeout
With the timeout comes a warning that if it happens again within 2 months,
he/she will be locked out for a longer period determined by the CWG. As a
general rule of thumb, this should be at least 6 months. The board is
informed of this.

4. Flexibility
The time-out periods as well as the 2 month periods mentioned above are at
the discretion of the CWG. If they deem the behavior bad enough to ban for a
longer time, they are free to do so.

5. Communication
Whenever the CWG decides to ban somebody for longer than the ~two week cool
down period they have to inform the board.

6. Oversight
>From the moment a first warning is given, all communication that the CWG is
aware of related to the person in question, be it with that person, of that
person on our public channels or about that person (eg with the board or
within the CWG) needs to be preserved for audit; for a period of at least 1
year after the last action taken against the person in question. The e.V.
Membership has the right to request an audit of these data and the actions of
the board and CWG, to be executed by up to 3 people appointed by the
membership. (This is currently already the case, all CWG communication is
stored.)

The first place for appeal is the KDE e.V. board. They can bring the problem
to the membership, which can demand an audit of the process and decision(s).

========= End of proposal ============