[kde-community] Discussion: KDE Manifesto, "established practices"

Kevin Ottens ervin at kde.org
Wed Nov 13 20:05:12 GMT 2013

On Wednesday 13 November 2013 20:57:51 Olaf Schmidt-Wischhöfer wrote:
> Am Mittwoch, 13. November 2013, 20:32:26 schrieb Kevin Ottens:
> > >
> > > I would argue that "Use kdelibs" would be an "established practice" in
> > > KDE but I recognize that there was/is some disagreement as to what
> > > "practices" this clause is referring to (even in the initial discussion
> > > of the Manifesto).
> >
> > I think your worry on that point come from what you see in "established
> > practices". To me "use kdelibs" is not practice it's a technical choice.
> > :-)
> >
> > The way we do our development, grouping things in extragear, going through
> > kdereview, etc. those are established practices.
>
> I find it interesting how the discussion went. We started with “a KDE
> project uses kdelibs”, then generalised this in the dicussion to “somehow
> technically related“ and then to “established practises”, and now we come
> to the conclusion that kdelibs was never meant.
>
> Not that I think that the use of kdelibs should be a condition for being a
> KDE project. I suggest that it we do not wish to include technical choices,
> we should say so explicitly – and be open about the fact that we have now
> fully moved away from what was traditionally seen as the defining factor of
> a “KDE application”.

Was my personal view though. I do think some people think technical choices
matter more... But I think it's getting harder as a position because of the
diversity of projects we have nowadays (e.g. server software for which it'd
make no sense to use even Qt).

Regards.
--
Kévin Ottens, http://ervin.ipsquad.net