[kde-community] Discussion: KDE Manifesto, "established practices"

Olaf Schmidt-Wischhöfer ojschmidt at kde.org
Wed Nov 13 19:57:51 GMT 2013

Am Mittwoch, 13. November 2013, 20:32:26 schrieb Kevin Ottens:
> On Tuesday 12 November 2013 21:45:40 Peter Grasch wrote:
> > On 11/12/2013 06:35 PM, Aaron J. Seigo wrote:
> > > which established practices did Necessitas not follow?
> >
> > I would argue that "Use kdelibs" would be an "established practice" in
> > KDE but I recognize that there was/is some disagreement as to what
> > "practices" this clause is referring to (even in the initial discussion
> > of the Manifesto).
>
> I think your worry on that point come from what you see in "established
> practices". To me "use kdelibs" is not practice it's a technical choice. :-)
>
> The way we do our development, grouping things in extragear, going through
> kdereview, etc. those are established practices.

I find it interesting how the discussion went. We started with “a KDE project
uses kdelibs”, then generalised this in the dicussion to “somehow technically
related“ and then to “established practises”, and now we come to the
conclusion that kdelibs was never meant.

Not that I think that the use of kdelibs should be a condition for being a KDE
project. I suggest that it we do not wish to include technical choices, we
should say so explicitly – and be open about the fact that we have now fully
moved away from what was traditionally seen as the defining factor of a “KDE
application”.

Best, Olaf