[kde-community] Discussion: KDE Manifesto, "established practices"

Kevin Ottens ervin at kde.org
Wed Nov 13 19:32:26 GMT 2013

On Tuesday 12 November 2013 21:45:40 Peter Grasch wrote:
> On 11/12/2013 06:35 PM, Aaron J. Seigo wrote:
> > which established practices did Necessitas not follow?
>
> I would argue that "Use kdelibs" would be an "established practice" in
> KDE but I recognize that there was/is some disagreement as to what
> "practices" this clause is referring to (even in the initial discussion
> of the Manifesto).

I think your worry on that point come from what you see in "established
practices". To me "use kdelibs" is not practice it's a technical choice. :-)

The way we do our development, grouping things in extragear, going through
kdereview, etc. those are established practices.

> Maybe our disagreement on the wording is down to different
> interpretations of "established practices"? Did I maybe miss the list of
> practices this applies to?

I don't think we maintain such a list, I'm not even sure it'd be desirable.
It's scattered in community.kde.org as we document our way of working in a
given area... and that's probably best this way.

Does it answer some of your concerns?

It's the last open issue from our rounds of discussions AFAICT. I'd like us to
move forward on it.

Regards.
--
Kévin Ottens, http://ervin.ipsquad.net