[kde-community] Why were there no talks about Ubuntu Mobile at Akademy?

Michael Zanetti mzanetti at kde.org
Fri Aug 16 00:49:56 BST 2013

Hi,

just caught up with my emails.

Yes, I'm currently working on some marble patches to make it work with Qt5 and
Ubuntu Touch. So far we aligned the build system to allow building Marble with
Qt4 and Qt5 and also aligned and ifdefed includes to support both. The fact
that Marble still needs to support cmake 2.6 and Qt 4.7 on Maemo5 makes that a
bit more complicated and long lasting than I hoped. However, there's progress.

The Konsole code was brought to us by some contributors, not led by Canonical.
I asked them for their plans to contribute some efforts back but I didn't get a
real answer and I cannot force them to do so. Still I love it that Ubuntu
Touch will run the most awesome terminal emulator and I'm sure there will be
the time when KDE can reuse some Ubuntu Touch goodness.

Anyways, the question is why Canonical didn't have any talks about Ubuntu
Touch. I personally found it a bit weird and wouldn't have expected that this
years akademy was so much about mobile phone platforms *not* related to KDE.
Actually I would have hoped to see some Vivaldi prototypes or demos instead of
all those other platforms. Looking from that point of view, it really seems
that Ubuntu Touch was missing, so I can understand why Jos asks this question.
I guess if I would have checked the schedule earlier I would have at least
thought about giving a talk or prepare some demo or workshop for Ubuntu Touch.

Cheers,
Michael