[kde-community] Why were there no talks about Ubuntu Mobile at Akademy?

Aaron J. Seigo aseigo at kde.org
Fri Aug 16 09:12:29 BST 2013

On Friday, August 16, 2013 01:49:56 you wrote:
> Anyways, the question is why Canonical didn't have any talks about Ubuntu
> Touch. I personally found it a bit weird and wouldn't have expected that
> this years akademy was so much about mobile phone platforms *not* related
> to KDE. Actually I would have hoped to see some Vivaldi prototypes or demos
> instead of all those other platforms. Looking from that point of view, it

Vivaldi is a hardware product to put Plasma Active on. It does not have a
monopoly on KDE interests, and I (and others involved) have no desire nor
expectation for exclusive interest and attention from KDE. Plasma itself was,
of course, represented in talks at Akademy.

There is no reason that there can not be multiplicity of mobile efforts around
KDE and Qt, and so I think it makes perfect sense to see all those other
platforms.

In fact, if we can manage to attract multiple platforms there will be more
sources of input and support to our shared core technologies. We may even be
able to break through some of the more baseless conceptions about competition
and be able to cooperate more on non-differentiating technology.

If we want any hope of any of these minority platforms thriving we have to
start looking at it as both/and and pull in as many camps working on relevant
technologies as we can.

So I think it makes perfect sense that there were these other platforms there.

Also, just as Ubuntu Phone is quietly using KDE Technology, I understand Jolla
is as well. We also share efforts on Mer. With Blackberry we have the least in
common, but we are collaborating on packaging formats with them and they are a
big supporter and contributor to QML these days. We have commonalities and if
Akademy can be the Big Tent we meet under, all the more power to KDE.

p.s. The main reason there wasn’t anything more about Vivaldi (or, for that
matter, Bodega) is that I did not attend Akademy this year due to the birth of
my second child being expected around the same time. The others who work on
the project either do not usually attend Akademy or gave talks on Plasma this
year.

--
Aaron J. Seigo