[kde-community] Proposals for dealing with bad behavior

Thomas Zander zander at kde.org
Thu Aug 8 11:48:48 BST 2013

I have no idea how I ended up on the mailinglist, but since I am I'll just comment in private.
The document looks to strike the tone that IMO makes sense. The wording in some paragraphs may need clarification, but nothing major. (well, the last part mentioning we have 4 principles may qualify).

I think if this was in place during my koffice times, I expect it would not have gotten to a split like it did. Some not-aceptable behaviour generated talks with people (not me ;)  that were marked as "horrible" by cwg members, as such giving them some 'teeth' would be great.  Accountability is required, as you know, but accountability without repurcussions is useless.

I'm gonna figure out how to unsubscribe from the list now. Have a nice day! :)

Quoting Jos Poortvliet <jospoortvliet at gmail.com>:
> On Friday 02 August 2013 14:44:52 Jos Poortvliet wrote:
>> Dear all,
>>
>> At Akademy, Valery, Peter and myself organized a BoF session about conflict
>> handling. Valery wanted to discuss the situation around mailing list- and
>> IRC moderation; I had a proposal for those few cases (just a handful in the
>> history of our community) when things really go out of hand.
>>
>> I've updated the wiki page with the notes. You can find there two proposals:
>>
>> One to essentially set up a communication channel for the IRC, Forum and
>> Mailing List moderators; and urge them to come up with some kind of process
>> and/or documentation for dealing with unpleasant behavior.
>>
>> The second, the 'stormy day' scenario, is a proposal from myself to allow
>> the CWG to deny people who are unwilling to adapt their behavior to our
>> community access to our infrastructure; initially for a two-week cool-down
>> period but at some point for much longer periods.
>>
>> http://community.kde.org/Akademy/2013/ConflictResolution
>>
>> We would appreciate your feedback. The first step (the communication channel
>> for moderators) is already in the process of being executed; the second
>> proposal will need to be discussed and vote don by the e.V. membership.
>> However, I'd like to invite everybody, members and non-members alike, to
>> comment upon it.
>>
>> Oh and from the others who were present at the BoF, besides a thank you, a
>> request: please check if it is complete and accurate! I might have missed
>> things.
>>
>> Greetings and hugs,
>> Jos Poortvliet
>
> I have seen very few comments on this. Does that mean everybody agrees, it is
> perfect and I can put this up for a vote, which will get 100% approval? It is
> a bit surprising that we got it right after just one round of discussion at
> Akademy, I think we should create proposals there more often ;-)
>
> Greetings,

Thomas Zander