[kde-community] Proposals for dealing with bad behavior

Valorie Zimmerman valorie.zimmerman at gmail.com
Fri Aug 2 23:43:27 BST 2013

On Fri, Aug 2, 2013 at 5:44 AM, Jos Poortvliet <jospoortvliet at gmail.com> wrote:
> Dear all,
>
> At Akademy, Valery, Peter and myself organized a BoF session about conflict
> handling. Valery wanted to discuss the situation around mailing list- and IRC
> moderation; I had a proposal for those few cases (just a handful in the
> history of our community) when things really go out of hand.
>
> I've updated the wiki page with the notes. You can find there two proposals:
>
> One to essentially set up a communication channel for the IRC, Forum and
> Mailing List moderators; and urge them to come up with some kind of process
> and/or documentation for dealing with unpleasant behavior.

Just to clarify: I think our energy should 90% go towards setting up
easy, positive communication. Focusing on what we want gets us most of
the way there. It's also true that we can't shrink from setting limits
and enforcing them. Setting up good communication structure gets us
most of what we need, though.

> The second, the 'stormy day' scenario, is a proposal from myself to allow the
> CWG to deny people who are unwilling to adapt their behavior to our community
> access to our infrastructure; initially for a two-week cool-down period but at
> some point for much longer periods.
>
> http://community.kde.org/Akademy/2013/ConflictResolution
>
> We would appreciate your feedback. The first step (the communication channel
> for moderators) is already in the process of being executed; the second
> proposal will need to be discussed and vote don by the e.V. membership.
> However, I'd like to invite everybody, members and non-members alike, to
> comment upon it.
>
> Oh and from the others who were present at the BoF, besides a thank you, a
> request: please check if it is complete and accurate! I might have missed
> things.
>
> Greetings and hugs,
> Jos Poortvliet

Thanks Jos,