[kde-community] Proposals for dealing with bad behavior

Jos Poortvliet jospoortvliet at gmail.com
Fri Aug 2 13:44:52 BST 2013

Dear all,

At Akademy, Valery, Peter and myself organized a BoF session about conflict
handling. Valery wanted to discuss the situation around mailing list- and IRC
moderation; I had a proposal for those few cases (just a handful in the
history of our community) when things really go out of hand.

I've updated the wiki page with the notes. You can find there two proposals:

One to essentially set up a communication channel for the IRC, Forum and
Mailing List moderators; and urge them to come up with some kind of process
and/or documentation for dealing with unpleasant behavior.

The second, the 'stormy day' scenario, is a proposal from myself to allow the
CWG to deny people who are unwilling to adapt their behavior to our community
access to our infrastructure; initially for a two-week cool-down period but at
some point for much longer periods.

http://community.kde.org/Akademy/2013/ConflictResolution

We would appreciate your feedback. The first step (the communication channel
for moderators) is already in the process of being executed; the second
proposal will need to be discussed and vote don by the e.V. membership.
However, I'd like to invite everybody, members and non-members alike, to
comment upon it.

Oh and from the others who were present at the BoF, besides a thank you, a
request: please check if it is complete and accurate! I might have missed
things.

Greetings and hugs,
Jos Poortvliet