[Digikam-devel] docbook cannot be compiled because FindDocBookXML.cmake is missing

Luigi Toscano luigi.toscano at tiscali.it
Fri Mar 30 09:34:32 UTC 2012

On Wed, 28 Mar 2012 11:42:02 +0100, Ananta Palani <anantapalani at gmail.com>
wrote:
> Is there a reason that FindDocBookXML.cmake and FindDocBookXSL.cmake are
> not installed by kdelibs? I am told that anything not installed is used
> internally by kdelibs during build, but I am curious why these need to
be
> internal only.

Because they are not meant to be public. They are only needed to build
meinproc4, the executable responsible for generating the documentation.
meinproc4 is part of kdelibs, so this shouldn't be needed at all (in fact,
they are not).

See below for other comments.

> On Wed, Mar 28, 2012 at 11:30 AM, Gilles Caulier
> <caulier.gilles at gmail.com>wrote:
>
>> Why the cmake script is not public ? There is a specific reason ?
>>
>> Gilles Caulier
>>
>> Le 28 mars 2012 11:27, Sven Burmeister <sven.burmeister at gmx.net> a
>> écrit:
>> > Hey everyone!
>> >
>> > To compile the manuals digikam requires FindDocBookXML.cmake which is
>> part of
>> > kdelibs.
>> >
>> > However, the CMakeLists.txt inside kdelibs4/cmake/modules... does not
>> > "publish" that cmake file, i.e. it is not packaged into any devel
>> > package if
>> > one follows that default. Hence digikam will not find that file on
>> > user's
>> > systems and docbooks cannot be compiled.
>> >
>> > So either digikam must not use that file or kdelibs has to make it
>> > public in
>> > order for it to be installed + packaged.

Yesterday there was a discussion about this on #digikam, the situation can
be summarized as follow (please correct me if I'm wrong):
- the build problem comes out on windows _only_; Gilles reported that
using the KDE windows dev environment with MSVC2010 the documentation is
not generated unless the above mentioned FindDocbok* are included, which
is
strange.
- another users (notedible, sorry, I don't know your name :) reported that
he was able to compile digikam using emerge, with some tweaks (but without
using the two FindDocBook*). I know that there were some changes in the
kde-4.8 branch of emerge by Patrick Spendrin, but iirc they were more
related to runtime usage of documentation, not generation).

To summarize:
- copying the two FindDocBook* is just a workaround in a special case;
- this special case must be probably fixed, but it needs help from the the
KDE Windows team (hence the CC)

Ciao
--
Luigi