kdelibs/kdecore/cmakelists KDE4_ENABLE_EXCEPTIONS cmake failure (4.8, 4.9)

Michael Pyne mpyne at kde.org
Tue Jul 17 02:14:56 UTC 2012

On Sunday, July 15, 2012 21:02:35 Raphael Kubo da Costa wrote:
> Michael Pyne <mpyne at kde.org> writes:
> > On Sunday, July 15, 2012 12:50:12 Shaun Reich wrote:
> >> line 393 of kdecore/cmakelists results in:
> >>
> >> CMake Error at kdecore/CMakeLists.txt:393 (set_source_files_properties):
> >>   set_source_files_properties called with incorrect number of arguments.
> >>
> >> the line is:
> >>         set_source_files_properties(util/kshareddatacache.cpp
> >>
> >>             PROPERTIES COMPILE_FLAGS ${KDE4_ENABLE_EXCEPTIONS})
> >>
> >> as suggested by mjansen, applying quotes around the variable fixes it.
> >> is there a better solution, or is this fine to commit? (cmake errors
> >> out without this change).
> >
> > From a buildsystem perspective it's fine.
> >
> > If you're asking for permission you'd probably want the release-team
> > mailing list instead (but I'll go ahead and be so presumptuous as to say
> > to commit and CC: release-team)
>
> That error happens when one is using a compiler such as clang, which
> isn't proprerly handled in
> FindKDE4Internal.cmake. KDE4_ENABLE_EXCEPTIONS then has no value, and
> CMake errors out. While using quotes there solves the immediate problem,
> it also means -fexceptions (or an equivalent flag) will not be passed to
> the compiler at all.

Hmm, other portions of kdelibs use this flag (e.g. khtml) so it's probably
better to fix it once and for all for clang if that's going to be an issue. It
looks like it's not a pressing issue given KDE apparently compiles even
without the flag defined though. I take it FindKDE4Internal.cmake doesn't take
action to disable exception support by default on cmake?

Regards,
 - Michael Pyne