kdelibs/kdecore/cmakelists KDE4_ENABLE_EXCEPTIONS cmake failure (4.8, 4.9)

Raphael Kubo da Costa rakuco at FreeBSD.org
Mon Jul 16 00:02:35 UTC 2012

Michael Pyne <mpyne at kde.org> writes:

> On Sunday, July 15, 2012 12:50:12 Shaun Reich wrote:
>> line 393 of kdecore/cmakelists results in:
>>
>> CMake Error at kdecore/CMakeLists.txt:393 (set_source_files_properties):
>>   set_source_files_properties called with incorrect number of arguments.
>>
>> the line is:
>>
>>         set_source_files_properties(util/kshareddatacache.cpp
>>             PROPERTIES COMPILE_FLAGS ${KDE4_ENABLE_EXCEPTIONS})
>>
>> as suggested by mjansen, applying quotes around the variable fixes it.
>> is there a better solution, or is this fine to commit? (cmake errors
>> out without this change).
>
> From a buildsystem perspective it's fine.
>
> If you're asking for permission you'd probably want the release-team mailing
> list instead (but I'll go ahead and be so presumptuous as to say to commit and
> CC: release-team)

That error happens when one is using a compiler such as clang, which
isn't proprerly handled in
FindKDE4Internal.cmake. KDE4_ENABLE_EXCEPTIONS then has no value, and
CMake errors out. While using quotes there solves the immediate problem,
it also means -fexceptions (or an equivalent flag) will not be passed to
the compiler at all.