hidden visibility

Thiago Macieira thiago at kde.org
Mon Feb 20 08:04:21 UTC 2012

On domingo, 19 de fevereiro de 2012 23.50.49, Raphael Kubo da Costa wrote:
> Stephen Kelly <steveire at gmail.com> writes:
> > For KDE Frameworks 5, gcc 4.2 is too old. Qt5 requires a much more recent
> > version (I don't recall which exactly).
>
> Unfortunately I'm a bit behind in the Qt5 discussions and development. I
> tried to look for something about this in wiki.qt-project.org and JIRA
> (searching in Gmane isn't working very well at the moment) but couldn't
> find anything. Can you point to any discussion about the issue?
>
> AFAIU, Apple still ships gcc 4.2.1 (the last GPLv2 version of gcc) with
> its OS; does it mean another compiler is going to be required for OS X
> users too?

Qt supports gcc 4.2.1 because that's what Apple supports. Unfortunately.

But eventually we'll drop that once Apple moves on. And to be honest, I'd
rather not support it anywhere but on Mac OS X. The BSDs can upgrade to more
recent versions of GCC and I'd recommend something released in the past 2 or
at most 3 years.

      PGP/GPG: 0x6EF45358; fingerprint:
      E067 918B B660 DBD1 105C  966C 33F5 F005 6EF4 5358