hidden visibility

Raphael Kubo da Costa rakuco at FreeBSD.org
Mon Feb 20 12:45:36 UTC 2012

Thiago Macieira <thiago at kde.org> writes:

> On domingo, 19 de fevereiro de 2012 23.50.49, Raphael Kubo da Costa wrote:
>> AFAIU, Apple still ships gcc 4.2.1 (the last GPLv2 version of gcc) with
>> its OS; does it mean another compiler is going to be required for OS X
>> users too?
>
> Qt supports gcc 4.2.1 because that's what Apple supports. Unfortunately.
>
> But eventually we'll drop that once Apple moves on. And to be honest, I'd
> rather not support it anywhere but on Mac OS X. The BSDs can upgrade to more
> recent versions of GCC and I'd recommend something released in the past 2 or
> at most 3 years.

Dropping support for ancient gcc's should hopefully happen by the time
clang becomes the default compiler on FreeBSD :-)

On the e-c-m/KF5 side, it'd be good to follow Qt and keep those gcc 4.2
checks as long as Qt itself also supports it.