hidden visibility

Raphael Kubo da Costa rakuco at FreeBSD.org
Mon Feb 20 01:50:49 UTC 2012

Stephen Kelly <steveire at gmail.com> writes:

> For KDE Frameworks 5, gcc 4.2 is too old. Qt5 requires a much more recent
> version (I don't recall which exactly).

Unfortunately I'm a bit behind in the Qt5 discussions and development. I
tried to look for something about this in wiki.qt-project.org and JIRA
(searching in Gmane isn't working very well at the moment) but couldn't
find anything. Can you point to any discussion about the issue?

AFAIU, Apple still ships gcc 4.2.1 (the last GPLv2 version of gcc) with
its OS; does it mean another compiler is going to be required for OS X
users too?

In the worst case, we can start requiring a more recent gcc to build Qt5
and KF5 on FreeBSD.

> For the KDECompilerFlags.cmake file, I don't know. Maybe you want to ensure
> that that's usable for non KDE Frameworks code which still uses gcc 4.2.
> Currently it has no users outside of KDE frameworks branch.

It's probably going to work fine as long as post-4.2 stuff (such as
compiler flags and friends) are not hardcoded and always expected to be
found. That's what I was asking: how about leaving these checks in
place?