Serializing possibly resource-intensive tasks such as meinproc

Oswald Buddenhagen ossi at kde.org
Thu Jan 7 21:30:30 CET 2010

On Thu, Jan 07, 2010 at 04:20:39PM +0100, Lubos Lunak wrote:
>  I would like to commit the attached kdelibs/icecream patches, in order to
> avoid running into pathetic OOM situations on Linux.

i'll comment on the icecream patch when i find the time. ping me on irc
if i don't.

but i find the kde part "somewhat" backwards. for one, covering just
meinproc is a bit shortsighted (i bet a few webkit links can blow your
box just as nicely :D). second, having just that tool support
"hardcoded" is ugly. third, the assumption that a found icecc means that
it should be automatically used is plain wrong.

a more generic solution would be recognizing a KDE4_TOOL_WRAPPER cmake
variable and prepending it to all non-c-compiler executables.

what you can currently do on your side is simply passing
-DKDE4_MEINPROC_EXECUTABLE:... on the cmake command line.