Serializing possibly resource-intensive tasks such as meinproc

Lubos Lunak l.lunak at
Fri Jan 8 16:09:27 CET 2010

On Thursday 07 of January 2010, Oswald Buddenhagen wrote:
> On Thu, Jan 07, 2010 at 04:20:39PM +0100, Lubos Lunak wrote:
> >  I would like to commit the attached kdelibs/icecream patches, in order
> > to avoid running into pathetic OOM situations on Linux.
> i'll comment on the icecream patch when i find the time. ping me on irc
> if i don't.
> but i find the kde part "somewhat" backwards. for one, covering just
> meinproc is a bit shortsighted (i bet a few webkit links can blow your
> box just as nicely :D).

 They can't, because I don't run into 20 webkit links at the same time. I had
the last problem with 20 meinproc4 instances one hour ago. And since icecream
currently serializes down to one task even if the machine has more cores, I
don't want to cover more than what's necessary.

> second, having just that tool support
> "hardcoded" is ugly. third, the assumption that a found icecc means that
> it should be automatically used is plain wrong.
> a more generic solution would be recognizing a KDE4_TOOL_WRAPPER cmake
> variable and prepending it to all non-c-compiler executables.

 How about the attached patch then?

> what you can currently do on your side is simply passing
> -DKDE4_MEINPROC_EXECUTABLE:... on the cmake command line.

 Ok, but I'd prefer a more long-term solution, when I finally got to doing
something about it.

 Lubos Lunak
 openSUSE Boosters team, KDE developer
 l.lunak at , l.lunak at