Problem with dependencies

Michael Jansen kde at michael-jansen.biz
Wed Oct 28 10:20:16 CET 2009

On Tuesday 27 October 2009 18:05:33 Christophe Giboudeaux wrote:
> > When fixing that problem locally i encountered two other problems.
> >
> > First a kdepim developer objecting to my change because Nepomuk already
> > is optional in his opinion. I think we have a problem with people
> >  understanding the use case for macro_optional_find_package .
>
> I fully understand the difference, thanks for worrying.
> If you have some problems with Nepomuk, I suggest not building it in
>  kdelibs.

> but hey, wait... it's not optional in kdelibs if you have Soprano Installed
> (and Soprano is optional in kdelibs).

>  let you figure out how to really disable Nepomuk.

> I'll change find_package to macro_optional_find_package to make you happy.

No you don't. You would not do your suggestion if you did. How am i supposed
to help nokia debug that problem with nepomuk not build? How am i supposed to
find and fix the problem myself? Reonfigure and rebuild kdelibs all the time?
Complete with cleaning out my installation area whenever i want to rebuild
kdebase-runtime or kdepim?

For this cases macro_optional_find_package is made. Exclude a dependency that
is found from the build. Making it possible to test different configurations of
a build without going through the hoops to hide some dependecies from cmake.

> > All this is unrelated to the question if nepomuk should be hard
> > dependency for kdepim. tmcguire said it doesn't really work without
> > anymore. Posts to mailing lists would cease to work if nepomuk is
> > disabled. Which btw. means this email should not reach the mailing list
> > :-)
>
> kdepim and kdepim-runtime will be missing important features without
>  Soprano and Nepomuk. We really hope it will be a hard dependency before
>  4.4.
>
> There's already a thread on k.c.d about this subject.

You are right. I meant to say with the last paragraph this mail is not about
this and i don't want to dicuss that here. But on a second reading that came
not through. I naturally leave the decision about that to the kdepim people.

Mike