Problem with dependencies

Alexander Neundorf neundorf at kde.org
Tue Oct 27 19:34:55 CET 2009

On Tuesday 27 October 2009, Michael Jansen wrote:
> Hi
>
> Because of some qt problem i had to deactivate Nepomuk.
>
> It is a optional dependency in kdebase/runtime. Specifying -DWITH_Nepomuk=0
> worked (I have nepomuk compiled. onto2vocab... just crashes on execution).
>
> It is only on the first glimpse an optional dependence in kdepim. Therefore
> compiling kdepim with -DWITH_Nepomuk fails because it still tries to use
> Nepomuk.
>
> The first problem is that kdepim tries to find Nepomuk twice:
>
> kdepim/CMakeLists.txt:
> >  macro_optional_find_package(Soprano)
> >
>  > macro_log_feature(Soprano_FOUND "Soprano" "Semantic Desktop Storing"
>
> "http://soprano.sourceforge.net" FALSE "" "Soprano is needed for Nepomuk")
>
> >  macro_optional_find_package(Nepomuk)
> >
>  > macro_log_feature(Nepomuk_FOUND "Nepomuk" "The Nepomuk libraries"
>
> "http://www.kde.org" FALSE "" "Nepomuk extends the search and tagging
> functionalities in KMail and Akonadi")
>
> kdepim/akonadi/CMakeLists.txt:
> > find_package(Soprano)
> > macro_log_feature(Soprano_FOUND "Soprano" "Semantic Desktop Storing"
>
> "http://soprano.sourceforge.net" FALSE "" "Soprano is needed for Nepomuk")
>
> > find_package(Nepomuk)
> > macro_log_feature(Nepomuk_FOUND "Nepomuk" "The Nepomuk libraries"
>
> "http://www.kde.org" FALSE "" "Nepomuk extends the search and tagging
> functionalities in KMail and Akonadi")
>
> Which essentially means it's not optional in the sense i can't disable it
> when i have it installed.
>
> When fixing that problem locally i encountered two other problems.
>
> First a kdepim developer objecting to my change because Nepomuk already is
> optional in his opinion. I think we have a problem with people
> understanding the use case for macro_optional_find_package .
>
> Second It still doesn't compile because akonadiconsole these days has a ui
> file referencing some Nepomuk Widget.
>
> Which leads me to the main point of this mail. We need additional automatic
> builds imho. Builds that make sure all these optional packages are really
> optional. Developers (me included) tend to compile only the everything
> enabled version. Is there any chance on getting these?

I would love to have them.
More or less everything is prepared, "only" issue is that nobody does
something about them (yes, I should write a blog entry or something).
We have a cmake dashboard, we have scripts to drive the builds of kdelibs,
kdesupport and kdepimlibs in svn, adding them for more should be trivial.

What we need is a machine which does the build(s), and, a person who maintains
this machine and cares that the builds are always working (i.e. updates Qt
when necessary etc.).
I don't have the time to do that.