Problem with dependencies

Christophe Giboudeaux cgiboudeaux at gmail.com
Tue Oct 27 18:05:33 CET 2009

Hi,

On Tuesday 27 October 2009 16:42:26 Michael Jansen wrote:
> Hi
>
> Because of some qt problem i had to deactivate Nepomuk.
>
> It is a optional dependency in kdebase/runtime. Specifying -DWITH_Nepomuk=0
> worked (I have nepomuk compiled. onto2vocab... just crashes on execution).
>
> It is only on the first glimpse an optional dependence in kdepim. Therefore
> compiling kdepim with -DWITH_Nepomuk fails because it still tries to use
> Nepomuk.
>
> The first problem is that kdepim tries to find Nepomuk twice:
>
> kdepim/CMakeLists.txt:
> >  macro_optional_find_package(Soprano)
> >
>  > macro_log_feature(Soprano_FOUND "Soprano" "Semantic Desktop Storing"
>
> "http://soprano.sourceforge.net" FALSE "" "Soprano is needed for Nepomuk")
>
> >  macro_optional_find_package(Nepomuk)
> >
>  > macro_log_feature(Nepomuk_FOUND "Nepomuk" "The Nepomuk libraries"
>
> "http://www.kde.org" FALSE "" "Nepomuk extends the search and tagging
> functionalities in KMail and Akonadi")
>
> kdepim/akonadi/CMakeLists.txt:
> > find_package(Soprano)
> > macro_log_feature(Soprano_FOUND "Soprano" "Semantic Desktop Storing"
>
> "http://soprano.sourceforge.net" FALSE "" "Soprano is needed for Nepomuk")
>
> > find_package(Nepomuk)
> > macro_log_feature(Nepomuk_FOUND "Nepomuk" "The Nepomuk libraries"
>
> "http://www.kde.org" FALSE "" "Nepomuk extends the search and tagging
> functionalities in KMail and Akonadi")
>
> Which essentially means it's not optional in the sense i can't disable it
>  when i have it installed.
>
> When fixing that problem locally i encountered two other problems.
>
> First a kdepim developer objecting to my change because Nepomuk already is
> optional in his opinion. I think we have a problem with people
>  understanding the use case for macro_optional_find_package .

I fully understand the difference, thanks for worrying.
If you have some problems with Nepomuk, I suggest not building it in kdelibs.

but hey, wait... it's not optional in kdelibs if you have Soprano Installed
(and Soprano *is* optional in kdelibs).

I let you figure out how to really disable Nepomuk.

I'll change find_package to macro_optional_find_package to make you happy.

> Second It still doesn't compile because akonadiconsole these days has a ui
>  file referencing some Nepomuk Widget.
>
> Which leads me to the main point of this mail. We need additional automatic
> builds imho. Builds that make sure all these optional packages are really
> optional. Developers (me included) tend to compile only the everything
>  enabled version. Is there any chance on getting these?
>
> All this is unrelated to the question if nepomuk should be hard dependency
>  for kdepim. tmcguire said it doesn't really work without anymore. Posts to
>  mailing lists would cease to work if nepomuk is disabled. Which btw. means
>  this email should not reach the mailing list :-)

kdepim and kdepim-runtime will be missing important features without Soprano
and Nepomuk. We really hope it will be a hard dependency before 4.4.

There's already a thread on k.c.d about this subject.

Christophe.