KDE/kdelibs

Thiago Macieira thiago at kde.org
Sat May 9 16:25:08 CEST 2009

Alexander Neundorf wrote:
>> More than that. You have to treat "kdelibs experimental 4.3" as a
>> module. Because "kdelibs experimental 4.4" is not enough to match.
>
>Could you please elaborate a little bit more ?

No need to. You got it:

>Does this mean an application which wants to use it should do:
>
>find_package(KDE4 REQUIRED)
>find_package(KDELibsExperimental43 REQUIRED)
>include_directories(${KDELIBSEXPERIMENTAL43_INCLUDE_DIRS})
>etc. ?

Yes.

>I.e. do we need a Find-module specific for that version of
>kdelibs-experimental with its own very specific set of variables ?

Yes.

>Will we have to maintain this for later KDE releases ?

Yes.

>I think we should keep at least the following
> FindKDELibsExperimental43.cmake in later releases:
>message(FATAL_ERROR "KDELibsExperimental43 is no longer supported, go
> fix your stuff !")

No. The whole contract is that it doesn't break compatibility when
upgrading just kdelibs. We can deprecate it after two releases and stop
shipping. So I'd rather we removed KDELibsExperimental43 in KDE 4.5
instead of making it an error.

Alternatively, we put the Find-module in each and every package that
requires it. That solves the problem of shipping it in KDELibs.

    PGP/GPG: 0x6EF45358; fingerprint:
    E067 918B B660 DBD1 105C  966C 33F5 F005 6EF4 5358