KDE/kdelibs

Alexander Neundorf neundorf at kde.org
Sat May 9 19:33:07 CEST 2009

On Saturday 09 May 2009, Thiago Macieira wrote:
> Alexander Neundorf wrote:
> >I think we should keep at least the following
> > FindKDELibsExperimental43.cmake in later releases:
> >message(FATAL_ERROR "KDELibsExperimental43 is no longer supported, go
> > fix your stuff !")
>
> No. The whole contract is that it doesn't break compatibility when
> upgrading just kdelibs. We can deprecate it after two releases and stop
> shipping.

Yes, but this would still lead to the effect that cmake would just fail
with "file not found" without giving the user any more information what's
wrong. This would be ugly. A useful error message is better :-)

> So I'd rather we removed KDELibsExperimental43 in KDE 4.5
> instead of making it an error.
>
> Alternatively, we put the Find-module in each and every package that
> requires it. That solves the problem of shipping it in KDELibs.

That sounds better to me. It also makes clear that it is something which will
exist only for a limited time.
Do you know how many places this would be ?