Policy for extragear / playground folders

Michael Jansen kde at michael-jansen.biz
Sat Aug 29 14:04:29 CEST 2009

On Saturday 29 August 2009 00:05:16 you wrote:
> On 28.08.09 22:02:56, Michael Jansen wrote:

> > > It is. I just checked
> >
> > It seems i'm the only one finding it weird having to checkout completely
> > unrelated stuff (kdevelop 3 plugins, kdevelop 4 plugins, kate plugins,
> > other stuff i can't name) making up 84M just to compile icemon (41files).
>
> You don't need that, who said you need to do that? I just checked out
> devtools with -N, then svn up'ed icemon, created a builddir, ran cmake
> and make it all went fine (after installing libicecc-dev).
>
> > Having to
> > meet the requirements of all those downloaded stuff i don't want which is
> > really compiled (kde3 plugins luckily aren't compiled by default) so the
> > stuff configures.
>
> The other stuff is not needed either, there's macro_optionalXXX
> everywhere.
>
> > > cd playground/devtools
> > > mkdir build
> > > cd build
> > > cmake ..
> > > cd icemon
> > > make
> > > make install
> > >
> > > It seems to work. Are we missing simple build instructions somewhere?
> >
> > Generous offer but i think i have to politely decline. I'm somehow
> > convinced i can manage that stuff. Superstitous i know,
>
> Apparently you missed a bit ;)

No i didn't. But thanks for beeing so nice and just degrade me instead of
answering directly to the points i raise.

> > Make Error at kdevelop4-extra-plugins/controlflowgraph/CMakeLists.txt:9
> > (find_package):
> >   Could not find module FindGraphViz.cmake or a configuration file for
> >   package GraphViz.
>
> Stop checking out stuff you don't need.

Why don't i need that stuff? And even if i don't need that stuff perhaps i want
it? Is it not supported to checkout and build the kdevelop4 plugins with the
devtools directory?

> > Btw. i KNOW i could do partially checkouts. but even that requires
> > knowledge what directories i really need before i checkout. which i cant
> > know until i tried.
>
> No it doesn't:
>
> svn co -N https://svn.kde.org/home/kde/trunk/devtools
> cd devtools
> svn ls (pick what you want from the result)
> svn up icemon cmake.

Sorry but i can't stop laughing after that. Just imagine you never ever
checkedout icemon. HOW do you no you have to do the stuff you just did?
Especially how do you now you need cmake to build icemon?

I would say the normal steps are:

1. Checkout and try to compile icemon. Fail.
2. Checkout and try to compile all of devtools. Fail. You still didn' tell me
if it works for you.
3. Have a deeper look at the CMakeLists.txt. Recognize the optionally added
subdirs.. Delete what you don't want. Try again.
3.a. If you only wanted to compile icemon -> success.
3.b. If you tried to build the kdevelop4 plugins too -> still no luck.

The really ironic thing is the comment in for revision 950344 for
devtools/kdevelop4-extra-plugins/CMakeLists.tx by someone called apaku.

| This file shouldn't do anything except adding the subdirs, the plugins _need_
| to be buildable standalone and this is the only way to make sure that
| doesn't get broken.

That fails if you build them as part of devtool. But hey, that doesn't work
anyway.

Mike

Mike