Policy for extragear / playground folders

Andreas Pakulat apaku at gmx.de
Sat Aug 29 00:05:16 CEST 2009

On 28.08.09 22:02:56, Michael Jansen wrote:
> On Friday 28 August 2009 21:24:38 Allan Sandfeld Jensen wrote:
> > On Friday 28 August 2009, Michael Jansen wrote:
> > > The minimum policy has to be. Whatever happens: Make your stuff self
> > >  contained.
> > >
> > > Mike
> >
> > It is. I just checked
>
> It seems i'm the only one finding it weird having to checkout completely
> unrelated stuff (kdevelop 3 plugins, kdevelop 4 plugins, kate plugins, other
> stuff i can't name) making up 84M just to compile icemon (41files).

You don't need that, who said you need to do that? I just checked out
devtools with -N, then svn up'ed icemon, created a builddir, ran cmake
and make it all went fine (after installing libicecc-dev).

> Having to
> meet the requirements of all those downloaded stuff i don't want which is
> really compiled (kde3 plugins luckily aren't compiled by default) so the stuff
> configures.

The other stuff is not needed either, there's macro_optionalXXX
everywhere.

> > cd playground/devtools
> > mkdir build
> > cd build
> > cmake ..
> > cd icemon
> > make
> > make install
> >
> > It seems to work. Are we missing simple build instructions somewhere?
>
> Generous offer but i think i have to politely decline. I'm somehow convinced i
> can manage that stuff. Superstitous i know,

Apparently you missed a bit ;)

> Make Error at kdevelop4-extra-plugins/controlflowgraph/CMakeLists.txt:9
> (find_package):
>   Could not find module FindGraphViz.cmake or a configuration file for
>   package GraphViz.

Stop checking out stuff you don't need.

> Btw. i KNOW i could do partially checkouts. but even that requires knowledge
> what directories i really need before i checkout. which i cant know until i
> tried.

No it doesn't:

svn co -N https://svn.kde.org/home/kde/trunk/devtools
cd devtools
svn ls (pick what you want from the result)
svn up icemon cmake.

> It would be much easier if this stuff would be standalone with some convenience
> makefiles. The same way kdebase does it.

Apparently that was never the plan.

Andreas

--
Today is the last day of your life so far.