does debian require cmake 2.6 for building KDE ?

Alexander Neundorf neundorf at kde.org
Wed Jul 9 22:51:46 CEST 2008

On Wednesday 09 July 2008, Ana Guerrero wrote:
> Hi Alex,
>
> On Tue, Dec 31, 1996 at 10:00:00PM +0000, Ana Guerrero wrote:
> > Alexander Neundorf wrote:
> > > Hi,
> > >
> > > what does this post mean ?
> >
> > http://groups.google.com/group/linux.debian.bugs.rc/browse_thread/thread/
> >770113add57f3b1/e6cc2f51c4a57cf3?hl=en&q=cmake#e6cc2f51c4a57cf3
> >
> > > It contains
> > > "For the record:
> > >  kde4libs seems not to be building in hppa because it is still using
> > > cmake 2.4, the build depends has been raised to > 2.6.0 so in the next
> > > upload it won't build at all if cmake has not been updated yet."
>
> Please, next time you have request about a mail I sent, please, CC-me I'm
> not in this list.

I didn't find your full email address on that webpage.

> > > Does debian now require cmake 2.6 for KDE ? Why ?
> > >
> > > "cp: cannot stat `debian/tmp//usr/share/man/man1/kdecmake.1': No such
> > > file or directory"
> > > And if this is the error, it shouldn't be a problem, if you build KDE
> > > with 2.4, you will just not have the man page for the KDE cmake
> > > modules, not nice, but no real problem.
>
> I guess my mail could have been worded better. Clearly, if you look at the
> build log, kde4libs builds in hppa with cmake 2.4, but it does not create
> kdecmake.1 that is listed in our building system (debian packaging with
> cdbs) as a file that *must* be installed.

Can you change this "must" into a "must if cmake >= 2.6.0" or "can" ?
It's not really a big deal if that file doesn't exist.

> If the file is not there, the build fails.
> Since I do not want stupidly having the hppa machine losing time until
> cmake is updated there I made the package need cmake 2.6 in future uploads.

The only thing cmake 2.6 is really required for right now is this one
additional man page. If you really want this, ok.
Which cmake version do actually the different versions (stable, unstable,
testing) ship currently ?

"The reason why cmake 2.6.0 is still not built in hppa is due to a problem
with glibc"
Does that mean cmake 2.6.0 doesn't build on Debian for PA-RISC right now ?
If you want to make sure it always works, it would be nice if you could set up
a nightly build of cmake cvs HEAD and submit the results to the cmake
dashboard.
http://www.cdash.org/CDash/index.php?project=CMake
The CMake developers will then make sure it doesn't break. This would be nice
for Debian and for cmake :-)