does debian require cmake 2.6 for building KDE ?

Ana Guerrero ana at debian.org
Wed Jul 9 23:46:38 CEST 2008

On Wed, Jul 09, 2008 at 10:51:46PM +0200, Alexander Neundorf wrote:
> I didn't find your full email address on that webpage.

Oh, it is easy, if you click on more options and answer the captcha, you get it.
Besides, with a bug report number, you only need to do
http://bugs.debian.org/$BUG_NUMBER

This is *not* an issue with cmake at all, but since Alex is asking I'm trying to
explain him how some Debian stuff works, something off-topic on this list.
If you are not interested, move to the next thread :)

> > build log, kde4libs builds in hppa with cmake 2.4, but it does not create
> > kdecmake.1 that is listed in our building system (debian packaging with
> > cdbs) as a file that *must* be installed.
>
> Can you change this "must" into a "must if cmake >= 2.6.0" or "can" ?
> It's not really a big deal if that file doesn't exist.

No, this problem could be workarounded, but it is not really worth it. cmake just
should be built in hppa, and after all the issues with hppa in Debian are fixed,
I am sure it will build in this arch without problems.  No much here we (Debian
Qt, KDE or cmake packagers) can do.

cmake 2.6 is currently in unstable built in all the archs but in hppa, version
2.6 is meant to be included in next Debian release (codename Lenny)

The real issue is problems in the Debian port to HPPA, something that will have a
nice or not nice solution soon.

> Which cmake version do actually the different versions (stable, unstable,
> testing) ship currently ?

 Version    | Release       | architectures
    2.4.5-1 |        stable | alpha, amd64, arm, hppa, i386, ia64, mips, mipsel,
                               powerpc, s390, sparc
  2.4.8-1.1 |       testing | alpha, amd64, arm, armel, hppa, i386, ia64, mips,
                              mipsel, powerpc, s390, sparc
  2.4.8-1.1 |      unstable | hppa
    2.6.0-4 |      unstable | alpha, amd64, arm, armel, hurd-i386, i386, ia64,
                               m68k, mips, mipsel, powerpc, s390, sparc

Yes, read more at http://www.debian.org/ports/hppa/

> If you want to make sure it always works, it would be nice if you could set up
> a nightly build of cmake cvs HEAD and submit the results to the cmake
> dashboard.
> http://www.cdash.org/CDash/index.php?project=CMake
> The CMake developers will then make sure it doesn't break. This would be nice
> for Debian and for cmake :-)

I am not either hppa porter or cmake Debian maintainer.

If you have more question about cmake in Debian, you can mail us privately
(sune, me or cmake's maintainer in Debian madcoder at debian dot org).

Ana