automoc4

Matthias Kretz kretz at kde.org
Wed Apr 30 09:30:22 CEST 2008

On Tuesday 29 April 2008, Alexander Neundorf wrote:
> I think we have to do some things now:
> -write at least some documentation: a page on techbase ?

What should be documented? How to use it? How it works? How it breaks?

> Matthias: if we want to keep the option to get it at some point into cmake,
> we (you) need to relicense it to BSD. Can you do that ?

done.

> Is there an easy way to enforce rerunning automoc ? Would it be possible to
> add a command line switch which does that ? Like e.g. deleting all
> generated moc files or something like that ?

There are two steps of dependency checks:
1. in the Makefile: running automoc depends on the header, source and the
<target>_automoc.files files.
2. when automoc runs it checks for the timestamps of the moc source and moc
output file and only calls moc if the source is more recent.

To regenerate all mocs one must either touch all source files or touch the
<target>_automoc.files file and delete all .moc files. Deleting all .moc
files is a bit problematic since cmake might have created a dependecy on
those files but didn't write into the Makefile how the .moc files are
created.

Alternatives:
1. add a new target (I'd like to avoid that because it would add a lot of I/O
on a cmake run)
2. make it easy to run automoc4 manually

http://Vir.homelinux.org/
Matthias.Kretz at urz.uni-heidelberg.de