Qt static libraries - pkgconfig again

Thiago Macieira thiago at kde.org
Fri Feb 23 08:32:30 CET 2007

Ch.Ehrlicher at gmx.de wrote:
>> kdelibs does not build because QtUiTools is missing a dependency when
>> linking kjsembed.
>
>Can't we get around this problem by convincing the trolls to not make it
> a static lib?

I doubt that. QtUiTools is a very small library whose purpose is to load
designer-generated .ui files.

> Or by parsing the .prl-files.

That would not be recommended. Those files are not documented anywhere and
could change format any time.

> Can't qmake tell us what  deps we need?

I guess it could. But there doesn't seem to be an easy way of doing that.

> What depenency is missing?

QtScript.

> I need to compile qt4.3 on  win32 to see if we really need to add this
> dependency - can you tell me more what's missing?
>
>The directory layout on win32 does not allow a pkg-config tool as every
> program has it's own subdirectory without a common place for
> .pkg-config - files. We've enough problems with other external
> libs/tools on win32 - adding another one would just rise the level for
> new devs once more :(

We can use pkg-config for Qt only, at least. Fortunately, none of the Qt
library .pc files has external dependencies, so they will parse easily by
pkg-config with just one dir in $PKG_CONFIG_PATH.

In any case, shouldn't Windows start having a common pkgconfig path then?

    PGP/GPG: 0x6EF45358; fingerprint:
    E067 918B B660 DBD1 105C  966C 33F5 F005 6EF4 5358