Qt static libraries - pkgconfig again

Ch.Ehrlicher at gmx.de Ch.Ehrlicher at gmx.de
Fri Feb 23 08:46:10 CET 2007

Von: Thiago Macieira <thiago at kde.org>
> Ch.Ehrlicher at gmx.de wrote:
> >> kdelibs does not build because QtUiTools is missing a dependency when
> >> linking kjsembed.
> >
> >Can't we get around this problem by convincing the trolls to not make it
> > a static lib?
>
> I doubt that. QtUiTools is a very small library whose purpose is to load
> designer-generated .ui files.
>
> > Or by parsing the .prl-files.
>
> That would not be recommended. Those files are not documented anywhere and
> could change format any time.
>
> > Can't qmake tell us what  deps we need?
>
> I guess it could. But there doesn't seem to be an easy way of doing that.

maybe we should ask the trolls here - it looks quite easy to make qmake parse the .prl-files and print out QMAKE_PRL_LIBS.

> > What depenency is missing?
>
> QtScript.

My fault - it's to early in the morning ;)

> > I need to compile qt4.3 on  win32 to see if we really need to add this
> > dependency - can you tell me more what's missing?
> >
> >The directory layout on win32 does not allow a pkg-config tool as every
> > program has it's own subdirectory without a common place for
> > .pkg-config - files. We've enough problems with other external
> > libs/tools on win32 - adding another one would just rise the level for
> > new devs once more :(
>
> We can use pkg-config for Qt only, at least. Fortunately, none of the Qt
> library .pc files has external dependencies, so they will parse easily by
> pkg-config with just one dir in $PKG_CONFIG_PATH.
>
> In any case, shouldn't Windows start having a common pkgconfig path then?

A common path is hard to introduce - every user has to have access right to the common directory. Then it's maybe better to extend to PKG_CONFIG_PATH variable. But I doubt Qt 4.3 is doing that... If not, maybe cmake has to extend the pkg-config path (or parse the .pc - file directly).
I have to take a look on this on weekend.

Christian

Jetzt GMX TopMail testen: www.gmx.net/de/go/mailfooter/topmail-out