KDE/kdesdk/kbugbuster

Adriaan de Groot groot at kde.org
Tue May 16 14:09:23 CEST 2006

On Monday 15 May 2006 23:42, Allen Winter wrote:
> On Monday 15 May 2006 17:27, David Faure wrote:
> > On Monday 15 May 2006 22:55, Laurent Montel wrote:
> > > SVN commit 541270 by mlaurent:
> > >
> > > Add message to signal why kresource will not compile
> > > (I think that it will better to have a "configure.in.bot" into cmake)
> >
> > In other terms, this is a request for a way to collect warnings and show
> > them at the end of the execution. Could be done with kde-specific macros
> >
> > Is there interest for such a feature in cmake or should we implement it
> > with our own macros?
>
> However we do it... let's please take this opportunity to come up with a
> standard message format.

Yes. This has been discussed (maybe not very publically) before.

> I don't like Warning in this situation.  I like better a wording that
> states you are missing features since you don' t have something installed.
> And it would be nice to always have a URL pointing you to where the
> optional software can be obtained.

You also want this in a straightforward format; one that is easy to analyse
for packaging systems, build scripts, etc.

> "Notice:  Your build will be missing the following features because some
> optional software packages could not be located.  Please install the
> optional software as indicated below and re-run 'cmake' if you would like
> to have the associated feature enabled:
>
> FEATURE: gives extra coolness to kneato
> PACKAGE: cool software
>
> FEATURE: weaponize your computer
> PACKAGE: libarmament
> "

Looks sensible. As long as it's *consistent*, that's the important thing. So
by all means, add a macro for it.

--
As of September 1st, 2004, the University of Nijmegen will _still_ be the
University of Nijmegen, but with a different nonsensical adjective in front.