Suggestion to make ccmake even more friendly

Brad King brad.king at kitware.com
Thu Mar 30 16:37:20 CEST 2006

Kurt Pfeifle wrote:
> I found ccmake a quite good approach to make the configure setup for
> cmake more "compile newbie"-user friendly. Thank you for that!

I'm glad you like it.

> Here are two suggestions to improve it even further:
>
> * It recently happened that I came back to a screen session with
>   2 "windows" open where I had ccmake open in 2 different builddirs
>   (kdelibs and kdelibs4_snapshot). I could not remember which was
>   which, and couldn't discover any hint in the visible ccmake
>   ncurses window either.
>
>   --> It would be nice if ccmake would display either the current
>       directory, or the "module" it is called for. (There is some
>       space still underneath "CMake Version" in the lower pane :-)

This is probably a good idea.  The CMakeSetup dialog on Windows does
display the source tree and build tree.  Please submit a feature request
here:

http://www.cmake.org/Bug

We'll lose track of these requests if they are only posted in email.

Meanwhile I suggest you use shell escape sequences to display the
current working directory in the title of your terminal.

> * ccmake displays all "paths" starting with a leading slash (even
>   if they are meant as relative paths). This may be confusing.
>   Examples are: CONFIG_INSTALL_DIR and COVERAGE_COMMAND
>
>   --> it would be nice if there was a marker that distinguishes
>       absolute and relative paths.

The CONFIG_INSTALL_DIR option is of type STRING, not FILEPATH or PATH,
so ccmake just displays the value it finds.  The CMake code for KDE
should be changed to interpret the option without a leading slash.  This
may be done when the install rules are converted to the new INSTALL command.

-Brad