RFC: A Configure Wrapper

Michael Pyne michael.pyne at kdemail.net
Sun Jul 2 06:08:53 CEST 2006

On Saturday 01 July 2006 18:35, Matt Rogers wrote:
> Do we really need this? People should just learn the cmake way IMHO. With
> the use of the 'ccmake' program, it's almost easier than running configure.
> This is just another unneeded maintainence burden IMHO. Surely developers
> aren't that lazy that they can't take the 5 seconds to read a quick start
> guide that says:
>
> mkdir builddir
> ccmake /path/to/sources (absolute paths are ok)
> make
> make install
>
> Do we have such a guide already? It would also contain other information on
> CMake, of course. If not, I'll volunteer to write it.
> --
> Matt

It sounds useful to me if it does nothing more than transform --prefix=foo
and --disable-debug to the CMake equivalents.  And I don't see a reason to
force people to have to read CMake documentation when ./configure && make &&
make install works for 95% of the other software out there.

Mind you if you're actually developing using CMake you'll still need to know
what's going on, but that's not true of a lot of people who just want to grab
stuff off of kde-apps.org or similar. ;)

Regards,
 - Michael Pyne