RFC: A Configure Wrapper

Matt Rogers mattr at kde.org
Sun Jul 2 00:35:51 CEST 2006

On Saturday 01 July 2006 21:39, Allen Winter wrote:
> Howdy,
>
> Attached is a perl script that emulates the old configure program.  Pretty
> straightforward so I don't think you need to be a perl expert to understand
> it.
>
> It only supports a minimum set of the old options.  More options can be
> easily added if there is a CMake equivalent.
>
> So far it supports these options:
>  --prefix
>  --enable-debug=<yes|no|full>
>  --enable-final
>  --disable-rpath
>  --with-qt-dir=DIR
>
> You'll also notice that it creates a build subdir and runs cmake from
> within that subdir.
>
> So, the idea is that users not willing to learn the new "cmake-way" will
> run: % ./configure <options>; cd builddir; make && make install
>
> And, unfortunately, this script will need to be kept in sync with what's
> happening in the cmake-stuff, and also each module will need their own
> copy.
>
> Comments?  More configure options to add?
> -Allen

Do we really need this? People should just learn the cmake way IMHO. With the
use of the 'ccmake' program, it's almost easier than running configure. This
is just another unneeded maintainence burden IMHO. Surely developers aren't
that lazy that they can't take the 5 seconds to read a quick start guide that
says:

mkdir builddir
ccmake /path/to/sources (absolute paths are ok)
make
make install

Do we have such a guide already? It would also contain other information on
CMake, of course. If not, I'll volunteer to write it.
--
Matt