RFC: A Configure Wrapper

Stephan Kulow coolo at kde.org
Sun Jul 2 07:25:04 CEST 2006

Am Sonntag, 2. Juli 2006 06:08 schrieb Michael Pyne:

> It sounds useful to me if it does nothing more than transform --prefix=foo
> and --disable-debug to the CMake equivalents.  And I don't see a reason to
> force people to have to read CMake documentation when ./configure && make
> && make install works for 95% of the other software out there.
Yeah, but for KDE it will be ./configure  && cd build  && make && make install

So we already have the first difference you have to read about. And if you're
there, you can just as well go the full route. I'd vote against the
introduction of this placebo script. I'd rather add a configure script that
will output the cmake command to call. So if you
go ./configure --prefix /usr, it will say "KDE does not use autoconf anymore,
next time use cmake -D..." (and I do have to admit I don't know the exact
D options, --prefix is easier :)

Greetings, Stephan